1. Traveling at 9/8 of his usual speed, Arvind reaches the restaurant 10 minutes early. How long did he take to reach the restaurant this time?
2. Cycling at a speed of 10 km/h from his residence, Rajesh reached the railway station 3 minutes late. Had he cycled at a speed of 12 km/h he would have reached 3 minutes early. What is the distance between his house and the railway station?
3. Anand travels the first 30 minutes of the journey at a speed of 80 kmph and the balance 90 minutes of his journey at a speed of 40 kmph. What is the average speed of his journey in kmph?
4. A car covers a third of the distance between two cities at a speed of 30 kmph and the balance distance at a speed of 60 kmph. What is the average speed of the car?
5. Ram leaves Bangalore at 4 PM in his car and travels to Chennai at 50 kmph. Shyam leaves Chennai at 5 PM and travels in his bike at 60 kmph to Bangalore along the same route. If the distance between Bangalore and Chennai is 380 kms, when will Ram and Shyam meet and how far from Bangalore will they meet?
6. A train travelling at a speed of 72 mph crosses a platform of length 1400 meters completely in 60 seconds. What is the length of the train in meters. Use conversion: 1 mile = 1600 meters
7. A passenger train traveling at 70 kmph crosses a freight train, of length 400 m traveling in the opposite direction at a speed of 38 kmph, completely in 25 seconds. What is the length of the passenger train in meters?
8. A boat travels from city A to city B, a distance of 72 km. The onward journey is a downstream journey and the return journey is an upstream one. If the round trip took the boat 7 hours and the speed of the stream is 3 kmph, what was its speed in the return journey?
Labels: CAT questions, CAT Speed Time Distance, Speed Time